Tuesday, July 9, 2013

2013 Buick Encore Premium review

Between China (for which I'm sure this trucklet was designed), retirees with a place up north, and some hoped-for young people coming into the Buick fold, I predict a bright Encore future. I think the thing will be a great seller for Buick. 'Course, I've been wrong before…
I don't think I am this time, though. For starters I think the design fits the vehicle's size. It looks good and well-proportioned to my eye.
Next, a small Chevrolet Sonic-based ute could be a great idea, especially as gas prices rise. Viewed in that light, as a semi luxurious small SUV, there is literally no competition, or none that I can think of anyway. And the higher those gas prices go, the more customers this baby SUV will potentially attract. If those people who are new to the fold are younger, all the better for Buick.
I was surprised how well the Encore drove. Maybe my expectations were low but this is a thoroughly likeable little truck and that is good news for Buick. It's not a rocket by any means, but it sips gas, feels solid and of high quality (especially for such a small package), and like other Buicks, is nice and quiet going about its business with double-laminated glass and more sound-deadening material. It's relaxing where other small cars and trucks can be a bit frenetic.
There is a ton of room inside in terms of front-seat room and cargo space. The back seat is a wee bit tight. Fit and finish is good and there are high-quality, soft-touch materials throughout.
I really didn't know what to expect when handed the Encore keys. After driving it I believe Buick found a space in the market where few if any competitors exist. Thus I think, as I said before, the Encore will be a hit.
ASSOCIATE EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: I took the 2013 Buick Encore home for the weekend and though I was initially disappointed -- we have a Porsche 911, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Aston Martin Vanquish in the fleet -- the small SUV turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
I'm still not a fan of the look of the vehicle. It looks a bit too busy for the Buick name and a bit too futuristic. I dig the headlights but I don't like the blue-tinted bulbs, it definitely throws off a weird accent with the brown exterior. If the car was blue or white, it might look kind of cool. I also continue to abhor any sort of black body cladding, wherever it may be, I understand it protects the paint at its more perilous spots, but Porsche does the same protecting with a clear film. I'm sure this is cheaper.
That being said, the interior of the Encore is great, in both fashion and function. I enjoyed the baseball-mitt brown leather with dark brown accents. The seats were comfortable, I had no trouble adjusting them where I wanted, and it was easy to get in and out. I do wish more manufacturers had height adjustment for the front and back of the seat bottom. I like to be coddled.
The infotainment was mediocre in execution. It connected to my Apple iPhone quickly but some of the buttons are ambiguous, and I couldn't find the enter/go forward button on the center stack, just a jog dial and joystick.
The 1.4-liter turbo four is surprisingly potent in the Encore. It wasn't fast, by any means, but I never had a hard time getting up to or keeping expressway speed. There were a few downshifts though when passing on the highway. The six-speed automatic is a great piece.
The price is right for a small luxury SUV at around $30k. Give me a one-color option with no body cladding and I'd seriously consider it.
DIGITAL EDITOR ANDREW STOY: Buick has put together a delightful little commuter here, and I hope they do well with it. The Encore does more than I would have thought possible with its Chevrolet Sonic underpinnings, creating a “right-sized” runabout with decent room for a family of four and a little bit of luggage. Ironically, a similarly sized sedan would probably offer more cargo room than this crossover, but folks like their soft-roaders these days, so Buick is simply answering the market.
Folks also like their amenities, and our little Encore was full of 'em. Remote starter, heated seats and, yes, heated steering wheel…one of my new favorite features. The leather was good quality, and I found the aforementioned baseball-glove interior motif attractive, even if the surfaces weren't exactly Mercedes-Benz S-class to the touch.
Somehow Buick made the Encore feel light on its feet despite the fact that, at 3,300 lbs, it's not, and it's only got 1.4-liters to pull it around. Far from fast, the gearing maximizes the engine's low-end torque to keep things moving along at any speed. I suppose the takeaway for folks who fret about such things as displacement is that the Encore scoots along just fine.
Since I'm still licking my wounds from the last time I called something a chick car, I'll refer to the Encore as “styled with an eye toward female customers.” The combination of steep hood drop-off and an utter lack of overhangs maximize interior space but it neuters the design. It's not unattractive, mind you -- just a bit frumpy.
But if you're digging it, go drive one -- the Encore is a pretty strong statement in favor of Buick's affordable luxury credo.

2013 Buick Encore Premium

Base Price: $30,440
As-Tested Price: $32,230
Drivetrain: 1.4-liter turbocharged I4; AWD, six-speed automatic
Output: 138 hp @ 4,900 rpm, 148 lb-ft @ 1,850 rpm
Curb Weight: 3,309 lb
Fuel Economy (EPA City/Highway/Combined): 23/30/26 mpg
AW Observed Fuel Economy: 24.5 mpg
Options: Eighteen-inch chromed aluminum wheels ($995); audio system including navigation including AM/FM/SiriusXM stereo with 7-inch screen, USB port, input jack, Buick Intellilink ($795)

No comments:

Post a Comment