Sunday, July 7, 2013

2014 Ford Mustang GT coupe

What a fantastic car. I'll be sad to see this generation of Mustang go. Want a road trip-capable commuter that'll beat up on high-dollar sports cars with a couple of cheap bolt-ons come track day? Here it sits. Sure, the interior's a little cheap for 2013 and the very good Recaros sit way too high, but that's about the extent of my griping. Besides, as I've said before: if you're in this car and obsessing about the interior, you are horrible. You've got a naturally aspirated V8 turning gas into 420-hp and awesome noise under the hood. If you want, it'll turn your tires into melted rubber. It'll turn your red light into a staging light and your work parking lot into one of those gymkhana videos. It looks great. Mustangs are a little common, but they can be optioned and accessorized into statement-makers. For true enthusiasts with a bit more than $30k to spend, there isn't a better value proposition on the market.


ASSOCIATE EDITOR GRAHAM KOZAK: I don't know if there will ever come a time when I don't enjoy the raw immediacy of a big, naturally aspirated V8 like the one in this 2014 Ford Mustang GT, never mind the fuel consumption rate or the increasingly hard to ignore clamor of the forced-induction set.

But the motor speaks for itself. At times, very vocally. You'll want to roll down the windows to hear it.

The package that surrounds the engine compartment is great as well. Steering is heavy, which is fine by me -- for a night, at least. If it ever were to get tiresome, though, there are three settings available to let you adjust the weight to your desired degree of boosted lightness. Be advised that turning off traction/stability control locks you into the heavy “sport” steering version.

I like that this car hasn't been dumbed down too much as far as steering and suspension goes. You can feel its bulk on the road, but it's never really obtrusive, and it's surprisingly forgiving if you get the back end a little loose. Besides, 3,600 lbs means that you're not getting flung around by potholes, even if the suspension is stiff.

The interior isn't so great materials-wise, though build quality feels OK. One area where Ford wants to consider sacrificing a few cents per unit? The shifter knob. Then again, that's got to be one of the easiest interior components to customize, so I'm not going to gripe. And whatever savings the so-so interior might have yielded were used to good effect in the powertrain and suspension.

The seats cost $1,600, but I think they add to the experience -- you really do feel hunkered down in the car thanks to their aggressive bolsters. You're getting the whole package for less than $40k, so it makes sense to splurge here. It's cheaper than buying new seats from the aftermarket down the road.

Anyway, there's an experiment I'd like to see performed with the Mustang GT: Find the most bitter, cynical so-called enthusiast out there. Hand him the keys for a month (I guess we could give him unlimited gas, too, but that's probably not even necessary).

I'd say it's a week, maybe 10 days, before he can't resist talking excitedly to everyone about his “bitchin' 'Stang.” That's the exact phrase he'd use, too. It's just that kind of car. That it's available to enthusiasts today at this price point makes me happy.


EDITOR WES RAYNAL: Showing my age. I find getting in and out of Mustangs (and Chevrolet Camaros and Dodge Challengers) a pain, I have a hard time getting comfortable once inside and I hate rock-hard arm rests. I know, first-world problems, right?

Love the styling. It's classic, not overdone or underdone -- just right.

I do dig the driving experience for the most part. That is to say I love the rip-roaring V8 power and its sound. Is there a sweeter-sounding V8 around? I'm not sure there is. Considering that big V8 mounted up front, the car actually felt fairly wieldy and light. I don't need to talk about acceleration; the car has it in spades.

And I got to say, in recent torrential rains the thing stuck to the road well. And I'm not exaggerating: The rain was really coming down to the point I couldn't see where I was going very well. I was nervous about sliding all over the place and pranging the Mustang on a guardrail or Chevy Vega, but the Ford, all 420 hp and rear drive of it, handled it all nicely.

The interior could certainly use an upgrade, but as someone said above, who cares? These Recaros help a lot -- they blow away standard Mustang seats.

If I had a fleet one of these would be in it. Would I take the Mustang over a Camaro? I'd probably have one of each.


ASSOCIATE EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: This 2014 Ford Mustang GT is ridiculously fun. It's only made more so by the fact that it costs less than $40k, and if you skimped on checking the option boxes, it would be closer to $30k. I still hope to buy a 1- or 2-year-old model next year.

This example looks about as sinister as a stock car should come. The LEDs look great, though they might be a little bright. More than once I got the headlight flash, probably on acceleration when the nose rises up, people thought I had the high beams on. I gave them another flash to let them know that, “sorry, these are the low beams.”

The 19-inch wheels look awesome and are included in the Track Package, which I would probably specify. The taillights continue to look great as well, though they're more impressive on a non-black car. Great proportions, mean shape, and I love those vents in the hood.

The interior is unremarkable, which is typical for a Mustang. The seats were cool to have, but I wouldn't drop the extra $1,600.

The whole car has a nice heft to it, though it's the lightest of the ponies at 3,600 pounds. The electronic power steering can be adjusted through the information system to heavy, the wheel hop over bumps will jolt the driver a little bit, but that weight helps over small and medium bumps, they barely upset the suspension at all.

It feels extremely planted though the turns, especially the smooth ones. The tires start to sing long before they give way. Even when they do break loose, some quick corrective input brings the car straight again.

The traction control is programmed nearly perfectly. It'll give you a little slide when engaged, a bit more when you click it once, and when it's time to make the donuts, turn it off and the wheels will spin until the rubber gives out.

This is one of the best bangs for your buck in the car market. It even beats the GT500 and Subaru BRZ in dollars per horse. That coupled with it being the lightest of the reasonably-priced muscle cars, make a compelling argument for purchase, and I'm not even a huge Mustang fan. But, for around $30,000 I'm not sure this can be beat.


2014 Ford Mustang GT coupe


Base Price: $31,500

As-Tested Price: $37,525

Drivetrain: 5.0-liter V8; RWD, six-speed manual

Output: 420 hp @ 6,500 rpm, 390 lb-ft @ 4,250 rpm

Curb Weight: 3,618 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA City/Highway/Combined): 15/26/19 mpg

AW Observed Fuel Economy: 15.9 mpg

Options: GT track package including 255/45 R19 summer tires, 3.73 ratio Torsen limited slip, 19-inch premium painted aluminum wheels ($2,495); Recaro manual cloth seats ($1,595); equipment Group 301A with power six-way driver's seat, sync package and tech package ($1,195); RR sensing system/security package with active anti-theft system, wheel locking kit and reverse park assist ($695)

No comments:

Post a Comment